Monday 5 October 2009

Mosaic Electronique


I was planning to do another "Dance Mix". I picked some dance-y records, but as I was spinning these and picking what the next record should be, it became apparent that this wasn't strictly a "Dance Mix" per-se, but rather just an electronic music mix. I guess it was just the mood that I was in at the time. I guess I didn't really feel like dancing that much. You still get some micro-house, acid and techno thrown in, but in this instance it mingles with ambient, disco and minimalist electronica. I opened the mix with the last track I produced (see last post) and it proved to be a good mood setter for what's to come.
The mix closes with perhaps my favourite Spacemen 3 record, "Big City". Come to think of it, I find it a bit odd that my favourite Spacemen 3 record is not one written by Jason Pierce, although I do quite like the Sonic Boom stuff and EAR as well as Spectrum (Check out that album he did with the Silver Apples and the stuff he did with Delia Derbyshire!). Kember is a pretty smart, if perhaps somewhat drug-damaged dude. Anyway, that record ("Big City") is absolutely brilliant: about 9 minutes long, and all it's got is a huge chorus that repeats, with some NEU!-esque instrumental passages that act as verses. You could sing that chorus forever, you could drift in its rising-sun-at-6 a.m.-pill-come-down-psychedelia for hours, repeating that brilliant chorus. It's a long record as it is, but I could do with an even more extended mix!
ELECTROMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment