Monday 4 May 2009

"Escapista"


I've finished a track. Finally. It feels good to finally say something is finished. You see, I used to be able to just bang out an album in no more than a couple of weeks. I worked quicker then. I also had more time on my hands. Gradually, it started taking me longer and longer just to finish one track, especially as they kept getting a bit more complex and I started getting a bit more anal about detail.
I listen back to my old stuff and it's alright for what it is, but if I were doing them now I would obsess a bit more over small details. The trouble with my current method is that by the time I get back to working on an unfinished track, most of the time I find, I can't get into it as much as when I'd started it and was really pumped up about it and was full of ideas. Sometimes I have to stop a creative session for whatever reason and say to myself "right, so next time I need to do this and that" and by the time I get around to it, I sort of loose track of what it was that I intended initially. You'd me amazed at the amount of unfinished stuff I've got. One day I'll come across one of those tracks and realise that it's got potential and I'll hear it with fresh ears and complete it. It's hapenned before.
So this is why you should not expect me to post new stuff that frequently these days.
Anyway, so this track: It was done that day in London where we had the freak snow storm out of the blue in March. It was very beautiful, I'd never seen London that covered in snow. It was unrecognizable. I decided I was a bit inspired so went down the shop for a bottle of wine and started to record without having a very clear idea of what I wanted. But the flow was right and after a few hours I had a very good sketch to work with. I was quite pleased with the result. I think the mood of the track mirrors my environment at the time. I find it very blissful.
Of course then it took me a couple of months to complete it. To be fair, it's a ten minute piece and I started adding these small details to spice it up. Then I tried mastering it and something went horribly wrong and fucked the entire project up. Luckily I still had the audio files saved, but naturally it took a bit of strength to get it back to where it was. But it's finally done. I do hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment